I posted about Everday on reddit — please upvote and discuss. The utopia subreddit looks quite forlorn, let’s see if we can liven it up a bit.
Here’s a sampling of utopia-related Everday entries from my post:
- Arf is the universal metamaterial: you grow it, you compute in it, you live in it.
- Change is what humans found necessary and sufficient to do with their bodies, given complete knowledge and control thereof.
- City: a utopia within a utopia, the story of its quick rise and slow descent.
- Deep sleep is how Everday deals with death.
- Family: it still exists, and may matter more than ever before.
- Flight: what’s the use of a utopia where you can’t fly?
- Leaving: and yet death somehow refuses to be completely dealt with.
- Minds are the AIs of the Everday world — perhaps surprising in their unsurprisingness.
- Nature Minds are the more interesting kind, even if purely hypothetical.
- Nomogenesis is a look at what we can, and should, do to Earth’s biology other than compensate for the harm we’ve done to it.
- Panpraxis is an even more outlandish vision — but why have a world that can’t dream?
- Roads are just that: roads. Simple things matter, too.
- Scares were never fully conquered but changed almost unrecognizably.
- Sparsening was the Big Bang that created Everday — or was it a Big Whimper?
- String is a typical something bigger that every utopia needs.
- Understanding is the Holy Grail of a world that’s always on the run from self-complacency.
- Will is the ultimate money — the latest, and final, universal equivalent for a world without coercion or deceit.
- Wizards roam the roads of Everday. They can change your life — if you’re ready for it. They can make you one of them.
- World Sleep is rightfully the last chapter of the book of Everday: not just alphabetically but eschatologically.